SHASBAH supports everyone with spina bifida and hydrocephalus to get the most out of life.
Sheffield Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus was established in 1964
to support everyone affected by these conditions, resident in the Sheffield postal district, covering Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield and Worksop.
Membership of SHASBAH is free for everyone living with these conditions in this region. You can still become a friend of SHASBAH if you live outside the area and want to join in our activities.
SHASBAH supports by assisting, informing and advising on issues of care, welfare,
treatment, education and to encourage full participation in society.
Our guiding principles are to promote a positive attitude towards spina bifida and hydrocephalus in our community and in society as a whole. We provide positive encouragement and guidance for our members to lead happy and fulfilled lives and to see there are no limits to what they can achieve in life.
- Inform on Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus issues
- Signpost to advice on education, housing, employment and benefits
- Advise on continence, mobility and health issues
- Persuade agencies to take Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus difficulties seriously
- Educate health, social care and education groups on the best support for our members
- Communicate with our members to maintain connections
- Provide social events to prevent social isolation
- Keep up-to-date with initiatives related to Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus
Support our members through our support workers and befrienders
- Initiate and develop a range of planned activities and social events
- Maintain connections with members
- Be a friendly point of contact on a regular basis throughout life
- Guide towards providers of
- facilities for recreation and other leisure time occupations
- educational facilities
- mobility aids
- social care support
- employment opportunities
- housing and accommodation